How We Got Here
We’ve been inventing vulnerability management for a decade. Learn how it all came together.
Searching for a better way to remediate risk
In 2010, Ed Bellis, Chief Information Security Officer at travel giant Orbitz, noticed his team spent too much time chasing vulnerabilities, with little to show for their efforts. The problem? They couldn’t tell which vulns posed the greatest risk to Orbitz. So they ended up trying to patch everything. Ed teamed up with software guru Jeff Heuer, who one colleague describes as “so smart he probably dreams in fractals.” Together, they created an entirely new market–and a new vulnerability management paradigm.
Creating a new market
Ed and Jeff came up with a groundbreaking idea: To use data science and real-world threat intelligence so Security and IT teams can efficiently focus on the vulnerabilities that pose the greatest risk to them. After forming a new company, Ed and Jeff launched the first solution for risk-based vulnerability management.
A decade of innovation
The Kenna Security team has spent more than a decade working in some of the world’s most demanding enterprise environments.
Those challenges motivate us to keep inventing breakthroughs that shape how enterprises manage their risk.
Looking back, we have plenty to be proud of.
- 2010The beginningWith a $1 million seed funding from Tugboat Ventures and Hyde Park Angels, Ed Bellis and Jeff Heuer form a new company to pioneer risk-based vulnerability management.
- 2011Risk-Based Vulnerability PrioritizationPowering what eventually would become Kenna.VM, billions of data points from 55+ sources analyzed to deliver an accurate, quantifiable risk score for every vulnerability, asset, and group of assets.
- 2012Series A Round: $10M1st tranche ($5.3M): U.S. Venture Partners (lead), Tugboat Ventures, Hyde Park Angels and Costanoa Ventures invest. 2nd tranche: Costanoa Ventures (lead) with U.S. Venture Partners, Tugboat Ventures, and Hyde Park Angels.
- 2013Internet Breach CorrelationThreat intel data correlated with your internal security data. Helps prioritize the vulnerabilities that present the greatest risk to your organization.
- 2014Karim Toubba Joins as CEOCybersecurity management veteran joins Kenna to lead the company as it scales to meet the needs of a growing enterprise customer base.
- 2015Risk trend line reportingNew reporting capability allows customers to see their risk trend line at a glance.
- 2016Series B Round: $15MInvestors include PeakSpan Capital (lead), U.S. Venture Partners, OurCrowd, Hyde Park Angels and Costanoa Ventures.
- 2017Multi-Stage TrainingAssesses billions of vulnerabilities to sift true risks from irrelevant noise. Tests efficacy of that model against more than 1 billion additional vulnerabilities.
- 2018Peer BenchmarkingHelps every customer track how they stack up against competitors by aggregating and averaging risk scores for a specific industry.
Series C Round: $25M
- 2019Kenna.AppSecAbility to measure risk by prioritizing findings and vulnerabilities across the entire application portfolio.
Modern Vulnerability Management
- 2020SC Media Industry InnovatorKenna marks its first decade with 2020 SC Media Industry Innovator for the second consecutive year.